Unwind
Neal Shusterman
Outlander
Diana Gabaldon

I'm about to go Usher on you

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

Caution...Major Book-Gushing Ahead

Don’t compare yourself to Reagan, it’s like comparing apples and…grapefruits.

9/10 girls will relate to this book. Odds are, that one hold out does but just might not want to admit it. Hell, there are things I relate to and don't want to cop to.

I'm a Cath. Maybe you're a Wren. Maybe you're a Reagan. (God, I wish I was a Reagan) Maybe you're a Courtney. Maybe you're even a Levi or Nick. The point is, this book hits on practically every fear, every problem, every scary joy that is Freshman Year of college.

Months are different in college, especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months-they're like dog months.

So, here are my confessions, my Cath-isms:

1. My first semester of college was rough. Sometimes you can go too far too soon and that's when you realize you aren't the badass young adult you thought you were. I didn't think I would be the type of person who would let social anxiety hide out in a dorm room, even avoid the cafeteria, but I was. At on point, my father even drove from Virginia to Indiana to pick me up. The only good thing that came out of that was instead of gaining those horrible Freshman Fifteen, I lost it.

2. Boys scared the shit out of me. (I'm sure everyone will agree on this one) I can vividly remember jumping away from my first serious boyfriend Just. Like. Cath. It was startling, the similarities.

3. I have written fanfictions. Not the sort Cath and Wren have, no slash or Harry Potter-esque. They were for a band I very much enjoyed, who am I kidding...I still love them. For me fanfictions were about letting some creativity out. I have so much shit up in my head, I fall asleep making up stories, that I had to let it out somehow. Were they good? Some people told me they were. Were they great? Probably not. But I envy Cath for even taking a Fiction-Writing class. I still wish I had taken Creative Writing when I was in school because maybe, but probably not, I'd have a book to review here. Bring on the one stars people.

Why would I admit these things? For one, if Cath can than so can I. But also to explain why I loved this one so much. Practically every time I turned a page I was thinking, Yes! I did that! or OMG, thank God I'm not the only one. I still set my phone to my son's father's number when walking somewhere that makes me nervous, ready to hit call if I need to. Fangirl has tapped into every one of my awkward thoughts and habits and made me feel okay about them.

I'm the Cool One. Somebody give me some tequila cause I totally drink it. There's no way later you're going to find me having a panic attack in your parents' bathroom. Who wants to French-kiss?

Who hasn't said something similar to themselves in the mirror? Don't lie.

There was also a love story. It wasn't focal but it was there. It was cute and it was incredibly innocent. There were times I thought that he might have said too many of the right things, but I'm not going to complain because I'm probably just jealous. I wish my first love would have waited in line for hours in the middle of the night wearing one of my t-shirts that I currently have hidden in the back of my closet.

This book has jumped right out of those secrets hidden in my closet and has found its way to my favorites shelf. And I will read anything Rainbow Rowell has to give, even if just to see if she throws a comment about Wyoming in to every single one.