Unwind
Neal Shusterman
Outlander
Diana Gabaldon

The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken There are some books that will stick with me forever. This is one of them. Why? Because its scares the shit out of me. Seriously. The adults, the parents that created this world for the kids or who sent them off...I find even after reading this twice that I have no words for that. All I can say is, thank god we were still given characters that I could love, kids, that despite everything, are growing up to be good human beings.

Ruby was never able to grow up. Sure, she's way more mature and hardened than the average 16 yr old at the beginning, but at the same time she's still just that 10 yr old who went into camp. Once she's out and meets up with the others you get to see her stumble through new social interactions. She doesn't know how to make friends, her only experience was walking around a classroom as a kid looking for someone who has the same favorite animal. She doesn't know boys and especially doesn't know the signs that one might be interested in her. You get to watch her take a crash course in being a teenager. She, understandably, is the one I think grows the most by the end.

Liam...Liam is a freakin' boy scout. I can't remember the last time I didn't start of hating a male lead, or at least the girl didn't. They tend to be brooding, distrusting, and borderline hard to be in the same room with. But from the start, Liam is the complete opposite. I could kiss him for it. Sure, he has his darker moments and demons lurking about, but he's still an honest to god good guy.

God. Did you know...you make me so happy that sometimes I actually forget to breathe? I will be looking at you and my chest will get so tight...and its like, the only thought in my head is how much I want to reach over and kiss you."

Shit Liam...you make me happy too. Almost as happy as girl time.

I always wanted a little sister. I got a little brother, of course. I imagine having a one is like Ruby and Zu, at least it is in my hopeful little brain. I would let her braid my hair and dress me up while I too despised that red dress. And I would protect the shit out of her. When she left with her cousin and the other kids my head screamed "Noooooo". Yeah, she's a strong kid and I get why she wanted to go but...:( Who can take better care of her other than Ruby, Liam, and Chubs? No one.

Chubs...Charles! This "sidekick" stole the whole f'ing show with his anger and snark and flat out refusal to like Ruby. I actually found myself wanting him to warm up to Ruby because I wanted Chubs to like me. His mouth was killer and probably the only one strong enough at first to stand up and give a big old "fuck you" to the man.

Let me tell you what I think about your fucking rules. You sit up in your room and pretend that you want what's best for everyone, but you don't do any of the work yourself. I can't tell if you're just a spoiled little shit, or if you're too worried about getting your pretty princess hands dirty, but it sucks. You're fucking awful, and you sure as hell don't have me fooled."

I would have knocked fists with Chubs after that if I could, mentally I did. Someone had to say it cause...rawr. ...Just...I can't even begin to describe my disgust for Clancy by the end of this. I got that icky feeling about him as soon as they met him and I said please God don't let this be a love triangle. But did I see how truly nasty he was? No...
The one thing I needed from this book that I didn't get was Liam laying at least one good punch on that douche. THAT would have made me feel better.

The ending left me, again since this was my second read, utterly heartbroken. It's cruel, but I have hope. Chubs is okay. No really, he is...he better be. If he's not I'll do something drastic.